Thursday, November 20, 2014
During our closing campfires in the summer, we tell our overnight campers that the best part of the Pendalouan Spirit is that you can take it with you wherever you go and share it with others!
As the weather gets colder, summer camp feels farther and farther away. Here’s a list of ways of what you or your camper can do during the school year to keep the Spirit of Pendalouan alive and strong all year long:
- Sing Good Morning to Mr. Zip Zip when you wake up - no matter how far away from camp you live!
- Share your favorite camp stories with friends and family members.
- Explain the four core values (Respect, Responsibility, Honesty, Caring) and camp motto (I'm Third!) to your friends, teachers, and family members.
- Contact the camp office to see if they can help you find a camper's (or alum's) contact information that you would like to pen-pal with. Don't worry, we'll ask permission before sharing any contact info with anyone.
- Celebrate others when they practice the four core values or accomplish something. There are always reasons to celebrate!
- Challenge yourself; keep trying things you have never tried before.
- Even if you can’t sing well, sing loud! (Camp songbooks make great Holiday gifts! Contact us to order one or more!)
- Just as our cabin groups do every night of summer camp, take a little time to reflect on your day with a "Taps Talk." What were the lows of your day and highs of your day?
- Head to a nearby park or nature reserve and take a hike with your family!
- Write to your favorite counselor by addressing an envelope to them and sending it to camp. We'll make sure it gets to them!
- Sing a camp song after every meal!
- Talk to a fellow classmate you don't know very well, you might have a lot in common.
- Be yourself! Camp doesn't have to be the only place where you are the person you want to be!
- Keep a positive attitude and smile!
- You may not have to sweep the lodge, but still make a habit of keeping your personal space neat. That's right... clean your room campers!
- Sing to Mr. Moon before going to bed.
Remember, you don’t have to be at camp to demonstrate the four core values, sing camp songs, or do a Taps Talk. You can share Pendalouan with everyone you meet!
But summer is a mere 7 months away! And we recently announced dates and rates for our 2015 programs on our website. Paper registration opens December 1st, so check them out. An added bonus: if you register for a week of overnight camp before the end of 2014, you'll be automatically entered to win a free session of camp!
ARE YOU A PENDY ALUM or FRIEND OF PENDALOUAN? Former Camper/Staff, Parent, Neighbor? We'd love to hear from you! Send us a message and update your Camp History by clicking here! Also, check out our Camper/Staff lists on our Alumni Website.